Monday, October 12, 2009

who missed me?

...
It would be disingenuous to state that I missed the daily routine I've made for myself (which includes this project), but I am glad to be home from my folks' house and to get back to plugging along here. My new bookshelves are riding into town with Dad tomorrow; I'm hoping to dispatch Sub-Project: Music quickly so I can get on to other, boxier, things.

For what it's worth, I did try to get Mom to unpack the box I sent back to her house so I could write about its contents, but she stalled and filled me full of cheetos and pasta and meatballs until I caved. Hi Mom!

As for tonight, I've been experiencing technical difficulties of the kind that make it impossible to actually accomplish anything Sub-Project: Music-related other than sorting piles into other piles. So, sort piles into other piles, I will. And in doing so, I discover (in this pile of paper jacket cds):

  • Many many Magnet magazine monthly music samplers. These are the perfect thing to rip and then give away! I choose the Guided By Voices and the Elliot Smith and the Inara George tracks and hopefully someone who would love to buy the lot of disks for a quarter or whatever will come to my garage sale and this is exactly how this should be working. If I can get my hard drive and Winamp working (together).
  • Multiple copies of things, particularly local bands and/or friends. So let this be a disclaimer here and now: if you find your album at my garage sale, consider the possibility that I had more than one copy before you lurch away, sobbing, to sulk. Thanks!
  • An additional local bands and/or friends problem. See, when one is a musician in a community, one usually accumulates albums made by bands in that community. Now me, I'm a musician and a promoter-networker-type, so I might collect more than the normal share of local product, but I suspect other people might be able to offer suggestions for how to deal with this issue: what does one do with all the albums one doesn't like? Like, it wouldn't occur to me to do anything but cherish my Mister Vague albums, because I really really like them and listen to them and just happen to be friends with the people who made them. But what about the more peripheral things? Can I just put those in the garage sale pile and feel good about it? Should I make an attempt to digitally capture these things I'll never listen to? What about canning the burned promotional copies of things I can't stand? Frankly, the whole business makes me feel like an asshole. 
This part of this Sub-Project furrows my brow, so I'm off to play to DS Scrabble to unwind. Let's try again tomorrow.
 

3 comments:

Bryan said...

Hey, you can love someone and still think their music sucks! I have many, many promos as well, but unlike you, I lack the motivation to get rid of them!

TonicScale said...

I too am an avid collector of local musicians wares. I also collect, just about, any type music I can get my hands on, odd and the like. A great deal I have only listended to once then shelved, boxed or otherwise put in an oubliette never to be seen again. I digitally store said sound for storage. I usually give away the hard copies of the stuff I don't care for. But I've got a copy if it for sure...

J3SS said...

I say rip 'em. I've got all kinds of stuff I never thought I'd like...and then one day decide to just put sixty gigs of tunes on random, see what happens, and be very pleasantly surprised by the results. harddrive space is cheap. yes, I know the tense this is written in is super sketchy, but I've been studying math and scienceyness all week...